Cape Epic Qualification
2020 Cape Epic
A number of team entries for the 2020 Absa Cape Epic have been set-aside exclusively for 2019 Port to Port teams. You can guarantee your entry either via performance, or through a draw. More details coming soon.
About the Cape Epic
The Absa Cape Epic is held over 8 days in March every year, covering approximately 700 kilometres with 15,000m of climbing in South Africa’s Western Cape.
Every year, the early bird entries sell out faster than you can say ‘Indwa’ (the Zulu name for South Africa’s national bird, the Blue Crane). But, as an entrant in the Port to Port, you have the unique possibility of guaranteeing a team entry for yourself and your partner.
What you have to do
To qualify for one of the entry slots, regardless whether via performance, or through the draw, you will need to register your interest prior to the race.
Need more time to consider the challenge? You can still sign up at event until the evening of stage 2.
Watch the Video
View the Team Race Rules here. To be eligible to race 2020 Absa Cape Epic you must be 18 years of age as at 23 May 2019.
A number of team entries will be allocated to the 2020 Absa Cape Epic through two ways; Performance Allocation and Draw Allocation.
- Performance allocation entries will go to the highest ranked team in certain Age Categories who register their interest.
- Performance Entries are allocated per team. It is sufficient if one rider in a team registered his/her interest. However, we recommend that both riders register their interest to stand a chance via the draw should they not qualify by performance.
- Both team members must be present at the final awards ceremony on Sunday 26 May 2019 in Newcastle.
- Should a team decide not to take up their entry or not be present at the final awards, the entry will pass on to the next highest ranked team who registered their interest.
- An immediate non-refundable deposit of $1000 USD per guaranteed entry must be made on Sunday 26th May 2019. Credit Cards accepted.
- The remaining balance of the 2020 Cape Epic team entry fee (announced by March 2019) is due by Sunday 30 June 2019 via online credit card payment.
- A number of entries will be drawn at the Port to Port final awards presentation.
- Draw Entries are allocated per individual. Riders must have registered their interest. The individual is free to choose any partner, i.e. it is not necessary that his/her partner participated in the Port to Port. (Remember, only riders entered into the team category are eligible for the draw)
- Only official finishers of the Port to Port who completed the race in no more than double the winning time are eligible for the draw.
- Riders whose teams already qualified via performance, will be removed from the draw.
- Riders must be present at the final awards on Sunday 26 May 2019 in Newcastle.
- Should a rider decide not to take up the entry or not be present at the final awards ceremony, the entry will be re-drawn.
- An immediate non-refundable deposit of $1000 USD per guaranteed entry must be made on Sunday 26 May 2019. Credit Cards accepted.
- The remaining balance of the 2019 Cape Epic team entry fee (announced by March 2019) is due by Sunday 30 June 2019 via online credit card payment.
All entries regardless under which allocation are for the 2020 Absa Cape Epic and cannot be transferred to another year. Once payment has been received, the standard Cape Epic cancellation policy applies.